Saturday, January 24, 2015

It's About the Writing - or Not? Sophie's Rebuttal

People ask me, hey, what is Beat writing? All I know is what Allen Ginsberg said. To “gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” 

Allen said he wrote Howl because he didn't think anyone would ever publish his work and he decided to write something anyway.

When I think of Beats, that's what I think of. The idea that you’re not here to please other people as an artist. You write because you need to write. 

Once you stop caring about what others think of what you’re doing, you’re free. And once you’re free, you can stop being afraid and just write.

Beat writing is just that. It’s about the writing. That’s all.

Sophie, on the other hand, disagrees. I'm giving her space here for a rebuttal.

Sophie
OK, I think what you say here can be true with writing.



Ruby
Can be?

Sophie
Yeah, can be. Let me finish, Ruby. When you're acting or singing or performing you can't do it alone. You need to be heard. You're riffing off what other people see and how they react to you. Nobody does theater without an audience. And writers need readers.

Ruby
But he's saying you have to find your own voice, and to do that, you have to forget about the audience first. Then, maybe later you can bring it out there.

Sophie
Is that what he's saying? You're sure?

Ruby
It's about the writing. Or painting.

Sophie
But what about acting or singing? You still can't do it without being heard.

Ruby
Sophie.

Sophie
WHAT? 


Ruby
That's your rebuttal?


Sophie
I don't know what a rebuttal is. But I'm right.



Ruby: Christina Welsh
Sophie:Katie Tegtmeyer
Play scene: kcstarlight theatre




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be courteous and please do not post ads for your business on this blog.