Saturday, March 7, 2015

Sometimes Evil Spirits are a Good Thing

"Elena usually works with her mom, who has an Italian accent and a stern-looking face... most people try to get Elena to serve them. She has long, dark hair and lips like Sophia Loren." --The Beat on Ruby's Street 

Greenwich Village, 1957.

Elena, my Elena. She thinks I don’t see what she is doing under my nose? She is letting this Jimmy boxing-boy run after her, and he is running fast. He thinks to marry, but not without Elena’s mama and papa to say yes.

I want to tell her she can do better but I know she will not listen to me. I didn’t want to listen either, but I knew papa would not give permission and kill the man I want if I do not obey.

So, here I am with husband and daughter and Sorocco’s and I tell you, it is not so bad. Elena’s papa would not kill her Jimmy, but it would not be a happy day, and he would disown her if she marry him.

I no have idea of what to do. But then I see Elena's diary, and I open it. Because this is what good mamas do.


And I see she is worried about ghosts in the house Jimmy’s famiglia
wants to buy. 

Not just ghosts, but evil spirits.

Maybe this is how I can get my daughter away from Jimmy the boxing boy.

If I want I could give her words to say and a recipe to follow that would take spirit away. But this time, I close diary. And do nothing.

Because sometimes, to be afraid of evil spirits is a good thing.

Meanwhile, I tell Elena’s papa if he wants her to marry when she turns 18, he better find a good famiglia very soon. Otherwise I think we are stuck with someone he no like, someone who knows boxing and will beat him up if he tries to fight.

Papa looks at me very, very carefully. And then he goes to stand by the telephone.

I leave the room.

Elena, you are foolish, beautiful girl. Lucky your mama and papa know how to help you.


And YOU, reading. If you want to know how to keep away the evil spirit? Here is what you must do.

First, you must gather:

  • Large Bowl of Salt 
  • White Candle 
  • Large Fireproof Bowl 
  • 1 tablespoon powdered garlic 
  • 1 tablespoon peppermint 
  • 1 tablespoon ground clove 
  • 1 tablespoon dried/powdered thistle 
  • A handful or two of sweetgrass 
  • Sage or dried oak leaves

Take large bowl of salt and sprinkle pinch or two over the outside doorways and windowsills of your home. Make certain you get each and every one.

Choose the room that has the strongest evil feel to it. Light a white candle. In a large, fireproof bowl combine all the herbs I tell you to gather.

Carefully, light the mixture so that it smolders, giving off an aromatic smoke. Leaving candle lit, carry the bowl in to each room and repeat the following:

''In the name of the Eternal Lady and Lord I bid thee part.

I consecrate and clear this space.

Let nothing but joy linger here.''

When you have done each room, return to the first, set the bowl beside the candle and wait for the remaining mixture to burn out.

Take the ash outside and sprinkle it over the grass/flowerbed/etc, thereby returning it to the earth.


--Anna Sorocco


-- 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be courteous and please do not post ads for your business on this blog.