Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Can Meditation Help Your Kids?

I've never been one to meditate -- too busy, too skeptical it will really benefit me -- but on the other hand, my anxiety and stress have been at super-mega levels for most of my life. And this year, they've caught up with me and handed me a big, fat autoimmune disease--which I am trying to tame.

So... this month I heard about an app you can use on your phone to meditate called Calm. It seemed a lot easier than taking a class (which I did once in transcendental meditation while in acting school). I have tried it, and have to say in all honesty I really, really like it.

Really.

You can join a session at whatever time works for you (mine is usually in the evening) and you DO learn techniques for calming down. I am not wholly able to translate those techniques yet when stress descends but I am getting an idea of how I can do it - which is, at least, a start.

The Beat on Ruby's Street talks about meditation here and there, using a neighborhood man Ruby calls "Yogi" and Ruby's best friend Sophie. I don't think Ruby is much of a meditator -- like her author -- and likely she'll stay that way.

Her author, though, is changing. I hope to learn even more this week about ways to shoo off anxiety and BREATHE.

And yeah, I haven't been one for apps up to now. But I'd recommend this one in a heartbeat.

Which brings me to a question. Can meditation help your kids?

Is there an age where you can teach them some skills to help them calm down when they are stressed?

If I had to guess, I'd say you could start when they are as young as four. I wish I'd started it. But here's what I found on the subject, if you're interested:

Meditation Techniques for Children: How to Calm Your Kid

3 Kid-friendly Meditations Your Children Will Love

A Beginner Meditation for Toddlers

Meditating Boy: NCVO London




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be courteous and please do not post ads for your business on this blog.