Saturday, October 7, 2017

House Adventures: an anniversary tale

This week, I'm celebrating two special occasions: my wedding anniversary and the Jewish holiday of Sukkot, (pronounced Sue-Coat), which means booths and commemorates the Israelites wandering in the desert for forty years.

During this holiday, you are supposed to put up a sukkah (booth), (pronounced Sue-Kah), which is a VERY impermanent structure with a roof made of branches and leaves. The idea is to spend as much of your time as possible inside--eating meals there and even sleeping in the sukkah if you can.

The two interesting things about this (to me, anyway) are that my husband is not Jewish - I was originally married to a Jewish man and we have a son together - but my husband Pete jumped in anyway to build a sukkah with us, which always meant a lot to me (and still does).




In a way, the first one I put up with Pete was our first house, because we were living in a rental for the first couple of years of our marriage. This year, we are having HOUSE ADVENTURES, which haven't been great ones, to tell you the truth.

We are now in the process of being reluctant renovators, and praying and hoping our renovation goes well. (You know you're in trouble when big men are coming into your house to do big things.)

At the moment, though, I am a bit nostalgic for those good old, easy-peasy rental days. And in that spirit I'm sharing the blog post I wrote about our first sukkah house, built on a rainy night in October, because it makes me realize (yet again) how happy and how lucky I feel to be married to this wonderful guy.

I wrote this blog for TC Jewfolk, and hope you'll visit the site as there are lots of great writers there. Here's my story, if you're up for it.












No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be courteous and please do not post ads for your business on this blog.