Sunday, March 28, 2021

Care Full

This morning my brother in law shared photos of a basement he restored with used lumber from a 100 year old garage. He saved the floors and joists, using a few of them, he says, to tease the eye into thinking a basement ceiling and floor were flatter than they were. 

Using LED lighting, he was able to dado the lights in. I had to look up the word dado, which (I think?) means he was able to place the lights in along the lower part of the wall. 

According to my brother in law, dado is "rabbet's" cousin, which involves a groove cut into the edge of a piece of machinable material (usually wood).

I'm sure you've already guessed what an idiot I am when it comes to construction, but I love hearing about it from people who know what they're doing. I'm sharing some before and after pictures here so you can see how things began and where they ended, and why that's so impressive. 

My sister in law said, "Mother Earth rewarded your dedication to reusing her trees with a work of art." I think she was right, though the artist himself deserves much credit. 

The project reminds me of how Stephen Sondheim describes the artistic process in Sundays in the Park with George. You start with a blank page or canvas and then are challenged to "bring order to the whole, through--

"Design
Composition
Tension
Balance
Light and 
Harmony."

Waking up to texts about this project seems perfect for an early spring morning and the season of Passover and Easter. What strikes me about all this is how many of us get up and wonder if what we do every day matters, and though we may not think so, it does.

The work my brother in law did here was about care and being care full; intentional about what he was doing and why and working to enact a vision that has all the components Sondheim wrote about in his play. It makes me think about how easy it is to take life for granted, and how much better life is when we don't.

Which also makes me think of what Flannery O'Connor said about writing artfully.

“You do not write the best you can for the sake of art, but for the sake of returning your talent increased to the invisible God."

Tall order, certainly. 

Luckily, my brother in law just gave me a superb example of how to start.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be courteous and please do not post ads for your business on this blog.