Tuesday, August 29, 2023

Bridesmaids. Really? A Smutty Love Story in Black and White

 

My husband and I boarded a plane for home yesterday after a week seeing family in New York. We were both exhausted from getting up early and getting ourselves to the airport, so when the flight attendant came by with earbuds, we each grabbed a pair and settled in for a few hours of TV and movies.

I chose Ghosts for a few episodes and then started the first episode of Yellowstone, but like all FOMO streamers I had to glance up to see what my husband was watching. For a few moments I saw Nicole Kidman, statuesque, goddessy and backlit flawlessly.

It made sense he was watching a movie with Nicole Kidman, as I know she is my husband’s favorite actor. I turned back to Ghosts but then a few moments later, I couldn’t resist trying to find out the name of the movie my husband was watching. I thought it might be Aquaman, but couldn’t be sure.

When I looked again, though, there were no perfectly framed shots of Nicole Kidman. Instead, there I saw a group of more realistic-looking women, attractive, yes, but definitely not goddesses. They seemed determined instead to get viewers to laugh. I looked at my husband, who seemed completely wrapped up in the movie — and I couldn’t stay quiet any longer.

“What are you watching?” I asked. “Did you switch movies?”

When he replied, I tried as hard as I could to stay calm.

“Bridesmaids.”

“WHAT?”

Read more on Medium.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be courteous and please do not post ads for your business on this blog.