Sunday, October 29, 2023

Is There an (OMG) Real Person in Your Story or Play? What to Know Before Writing

“Don’t let anyone take the house,” my husband says. His face is calm, but his eyes are not.

“No one will take the house away from us,” I say, smiling, but little gremlins inside my stomach are doing leaps even Simone Biles would envy right now. Still, it’s a conversation I know we need to have.

Just a few months ago, I pitched an idea to a local theater that involves adapting the story of a well-known mover and shaker — and they seem very interested, which is great. I think it would be an exciting play, but the person I want to write about has living relatives and is more or less a contemporary figure.

Most writers have asked questions like this before, and the stock answer is that you are allowed to write about a deceased public figure, living relatives or no, though you want to be sure to get your facts straight. 

Assuming this is true, let’s say there are living relatives. Will they want a say in what you write? Can they get it? What rights do writers have if the person they’re writing about is dead, but family members aren’t?

Read more--


Photo by Christin Hume on Unsplash

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be courteous and please do not post ads for your business on this blog.