Sunday, July 21, 2024

What We Say About the Old

With my favorite season upon us, I really don’t want to think about the debate and how scared everyone is about President Biden’s ability to do his job. I’m going to leave it to others to write about him, because I’m more interested in what no one talks about — which is how we see getting older and how we talk about the older adults we know.

I say "we" because I'd like you to take a few days and listen--to the radio, your friends, to anyone you normally listen to--and track what they say about older generations.

For several years now, I've heard President Biden called "feeble" or "senile" or other words related to directly to stereotypes about being older. Having worked for a decade helping older generations and the people who care for them tell their stories, it's really disheartening for me to hear words like this--though not surprising.

Read more on Medium.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be courteous and please do not post ads for your business on this blog.