Saturday, August 27, 2016

Me and Dr. P: Going Way Too Far Back

I probably should never have it. But I have it every day. I am nearly incapable (OK, incapable) of saying no to it.

Not alcohol or drugs. “It” is diet soda (probably worse)? Ruinous for your kidneys, I’m told, with God knows what organ-eating chemicals and additives running through it, but… hey. I can’t stop.

I’ve guzzled it since I was a kid–sanctioned by mom who drank it herself like it was going out of style—and found it an indispensable end to my day (and sometimes a lunch-time companion as well).

I DO drink water, I promise, at least three to four eight ounce glasses, sometimes more when I can rev up the will power. Tea and decaf coffee also make their ways into my stomach, but diet soda (specifically Caffeine Free Diet Dr. Pepper, Coke Zero, or Sparkling ICE when I’m feeling slightly more virtuous) are my drinks of choice.

The fact is, I would drink a lot more of them if I let myself. They are not just a guilty pleasure, they are a super-guilty pleasure. Now and again I get myself to drink plain sparkling water instead, and then I feel really good about my day.

Why am I telling you all this? Part of me is hoping you’ll convince me somehow to stop, but I know you won’t. 

Part of me is hoping I can convince you to keep your kids away from this demonic drinking practice. I didn’t let my son have it at home when he was growing up, though his dad and I both let him have it when we went out to eat. 

I didn't want to make it "forbidden" because I didn't want to tempt him too much. But I didn't want it to be a mainstay for him like it was for me growing up. And I believe I (mostly) succeeded with that very modest goal, at least.

These days,  I’m hoping he doesn’t drink it as much as I do. He works out quite a bit and is better about eating healthy than I am (I think)?

Maybe you can try talking to your kid about the evil that diet drinks do. That doesn't usually work, but I'm probably in a diet-soda haze, so it's all I can think of.

I’m writing this with an empty can of Diet Dr. P on my desk, btw. So, no, you probably won't be able to talk me (or anyone else) out of it. But maybe there IS one thing you CAN do.

Invent a better drink? You'd make a lot of money.


If you can't, well... I haven't read these but they might be helpful:



And here's one I did read:



Photos:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be courteous and please do not post ads for your business on this blog.