Sunday, September 18, 2022

Who's Superstitious?

 Are you superstitious? Lately, I've been thinking about all the ways I am, and wondering how many of us there are. My new book, Crooked Lines, touches on this in my chapter on mezuzahs (prayer scrolls affixed to the door posts of Jewish homes).

I decided to look more deeply into this by starting with Maimonides, a medieval Jewish philosopher who was also one of the most prominent Jewish scholar of his time. I figured if anyone would be able to clarify how Jews should feel about superstition, Maimonides would.

According to his writings, people's beliefs should be based on reason, what their five senses tell them, and the traditions of the prophets. Were the prophets superstitious? How would we find out?

In the end, I think, what most people will tell you is Judaism frowns on superstition, which is linked to things like witchcraft and the supernatural. So why did I grow up hearing about so many Jewish superstitions -- like the belief there is an evil eye (presumably of a demon) that can cause irreparable harm? And what do you do to protect yourself? 

1. Wear a red string around your wrist to ward off evil.

2. Spit three times when you hear good (or bad) news.

3. Tug on your ears when you sneeze. Again, this is a protective thing.

4. Sneeze on the truth. Apparently, some Jewish people believe if you sneeze while you're talking, what you say will come true?

5. Make sure to close open books, especially holy books. (I do this).

6. Put salt in your pockets and in the corners of a room. This one is my favorite, though I've never done it. The idea is that you scatter salt to keep the demons out. 

7. Never put a hat or shoes on your bed - again, to avoid evil spirits. (I'm sure I've done this once or twice, at least). 

There are more - I just don't think I can keep sharing them because I don't want to get any more superstitious than I already am. I do love ghost stories -- but deep down, I think, these superstitions are really the same as ghost stories -- fun to talk about, but not to believe.

At the same time-- I understand why people engage in them -- and my mother was extremely superstitious (which is probably how I learned to be). Now, I'm curious. What do you believe and what do you share with your kids? Here's what I found on superstition, overall:

How do superstitions affect your psychology and well being?

The science of superstitio

Thirteen superstitions from around the world


Photo by Lachlan on Unsplash





medieval Sephardic Jewish philosopher who became one of the most prolific and influential Torah scholars of the Middle Ages.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be courteous and please do not post ads for your business on this blog.