Tuesday, April 2, 2024

Does Art Really Matter? Talking Back to Those Who Ask

 


I grew up working my voice because family and friends encouraged me as a singer. I wanted to sing, yes, but I also wanted to dance. That didn’t happen, though I still think about what it would have meant to me. Long hours of dance practice, added to singing practice, and perhaps a more painful body at the end of the day.

What I knew, what I always knew, is no matter what I did, I would be some kind of artist. People’s eyes light up when you say that in certain circles; in other circles, such as work venues, the reaction is often polite, but suspicious. I think that’s because artists overall are regarded with suspicion. The world sees us as spoiled, impractical, unrealistic, unaware of the very serious issues life throws at us.

I know what they are thinking. Does art really matter?

I want to answer them with a question. I will ask it of you.

Read more on Medium.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be courteous and please do not post ads for your business on this blog.