Sunday, April 7, 2024

Two Pages a Day: Recipe for a Good Day's Writing

 

Are you one of those people who gets distracted by the thought of a lot of deadlines? If so, what does that mean for your writing? 

It could mean you tend to put an awful lot of pressure on yourself — wanting to spit out long articles in two minutes (when nobody does), meet deadlines before your work is ready, and make similar decisions that undercut your work.

When I first started playwriting and became a core writer at The Playwrights’ Center, I had a new baby and a whole lot of anxiety around getting any writing done. I worried aloud to the much more established playwright who mentored me at the center. His response?

"You're worried about not being able to get a lot done?" he asked.

"Exactly," I replied.

"Want to know what I would do?"

"Sure."

“I would see how slowly I could write something. Drag it out.”

“WHAT?” I said.

Read more on Medium.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be courteous and please do not post ads for your business on this blog.